Seaplanes have been around since the beginning of aviation and persist as a small sector of aviation today.
They offer unique advantages over other transport systems and market indications are that this sector is beginning to grow.
Seaplanes have advantages over other transport systems
- Provide fast transport
- Ability to operate from land or water providing operational flexibility
- Lower cost of ground infrastructure
- Low environmental impact
- Appeals to the publics imagination
Seaplanes are of two basic types – the flying boat and the floatplane, both types can be amphibious
Floatplanes have many advantages over flying boats
- Retrofit i.e. lower development cost
- Aircraft is high out of the water
- good propeller and wing clearance
- good visibility
- easy access
- safer operations